Bob's Good Stuff Lists Forum Index
Bob's Good Stuff Lists Message Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bob's Good Stuff Lists Forum Index -> General Diabetes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rconnors
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Bob Connors and I am a diabetic. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 1986. Since that time, I have been taking various oral medications but, ultimately, ended up on insulin.

For the last few years, I was taking Novolin 70/30 using a NovoPen3. Recently, though, I changed to the once a day Lantus insulin (it lasts up to 24 hours) and Novolog (a fast acting insulin) with meals. I use a syringe for the Lantus and the NovoPen3 for the Novolog. For the first time since about a year after being diagnosed as diabetic, I finally have my blood sugars under reasonable control -- its still not perfect but darned close to it.

When I was first diagnozed, I couldn't find anyone with information about diabetes. My doctor had limited facts and I couldn't find any diabetes support groups where I lived. I was, hoever, into computer and ran a 24-hour a day dial-up Bulletin Board System (BBS) locally. I joined this BBS to a BBS network called Fidonet which had a support message are (called an echo) about diabetes. So I oriented my BBS to diabetes as well as other topics. In 1995, I discovered the internet for the very first time and everything changed.

Using the internet, I opened up my first web site dedicated to diabetes called, Bob's Good Diabetes Stuff List. It was the predecessor to my current lists. I did this because even the internet did not have much about diabetes and what information that was available, was very difficult to find. My list was designed to overcome both those problems by providing a support area as well a a resource directory. Eventually, my BBS was discontinued and I went full time on the internet, expanding what I had into multiple lists, ending up with the Bob's Good Stuff Lists that exits today. Even though there are other subject areas for my lists, the largest list has always been and probably always will be the Diabetes lists.

Anyway, a bit about me. I am male, age 60. I was in the US Army for 21 years, retiring in 1984, two years before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I run a web hosting company (Orphanage Services) as well as maintaining Bob's Good Stuff Lists. My hobbies include music, video, electronics, and I like travelling (when I can afford it).

In addition to being diabetic, I suffered a series of heart attacks last spring and had triple-bypass surgery to correct that problem. The by-passes failed (all of them) and I had a second series of heart attacks. This time, a stent was installed in just one of the arteries and I have been doing fairly good since. I am not fully recovered, but am getting there. The one good thing about the surgery is, I quit smoking the day before and haven\'t smoked since. It has now been almost a year without a cigarette (I smoked a pack+ a day for over 40 years). The best part is, I quit cold turkey and didn't even miss smoking. My wife still smokes so my environment is not completely smoke-free. It doesn't bother me though -- I am not one of those anti-smoking ex-smokers. I feel it is up to each person to decide for themselves. icon_biggrin.gif

Please feel free to introduce yourself in this forum. Your message doesn't have to be as involved or long as mine is. And remember, your message doesn't have to be about diabetes either. Talk about anything that comes to mind.

Bob Connors
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bob's Good Stuff Lists Forum Index -> General Diabetes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: